History & Landmarks

The City of New Berlin was established in 1959, but early settlers made New Berlin their home long before then. The first settlers, Sidney Evans and P.G. Harrington and his wife, came in 1836. Mentor was the original name of the township, but Mr. Evans changed the name to New Berlin on January 13, 1840. Between 1850 and 1950, New Berlin's population went from 1,293 to 5,334. Ten years later, in 1960, the population had nearly tripled to 15,788. New Berlin was primarily an agricultural community with commerce hubs on Prospect Hill (near Racine Avenue and National Avenue) and at the New Berlin Center (near National Avenue and Calhoun Road). Excerpt from the City's 2020 Comprehensive Plan Chapter 4: Cultural & Historic Resources

Historic Society

Landmarks Commission

New Berlin Landmarks and Historic Sites